Thursday, November 13, 2008

Yesterday is Gone

Quick! Turn up that song you're hearing if you're reading my blog! It's an awesome song by Switchfoot if you haven't heard it yet...called "Gone". Such simple lyrics but what an incredible message that I too often forget. "Gone...like yesterday is gone...like history is gone...like summer break is gone...my high school dreams are gone...my childhood sweets are gone...nothing lasts in this world." I needed that perspective today. I have to remember that nothing in this world will last forever. From dust we were made and to the dust we will return. We can take nothing with us. Like that country song says, "I've never seen a hearse with a luggage rack". Everything we've worked so hard for will go to someone else. I was just reading about that last night but I can't remember where in the Bible. :( "All the riches of the kings end up in wills" - Switchfoot.
All this makes me want to fulfill my mission and purpose in this life all the more. There are so many things I know I'm called to do and I pray that God would make me uncomfortable until I get out and DO IT! I long for that feeling of being out of my comfort zone...because in my experiences, that's when I know I'm doing what God called me to do. It's not when I'm wrapped up in a blanket watching a movie on the sofa. I don't think God has called me or any Christian for that matter to be "comfortable". Our comfort is not God's priority. He wants us to love and serve others; to give just as He gave for us. What he asks of me won't always be easy or fun and will I'm sure at times be scary. But I'm going to pray for the strength to follow faithfully - no matter when, where or how much it may cost. May I seek to live like there's no tomorrow, and know that every moment I borrow SHOULD always bring me closer to my God.

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Hey! Ok, so 3 months later I'm responding to the comment you left on my page. I was so excited so hear from you guys, but so sick that I didn't have the motivation to write back. God has blessed us with another pregnancy! I am finally feeling like myself again and staying awake for more than 8 hours a day! Glad to see you guys are doing so well!

jen armstrong said...

you've got that right, girl.
so excited to hear about your ministry in your last post--go on, sister. i love it!!!